Re: [NTLK] WTB: dead eMate battery

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 10:32:29 PDT

Talking about dead batteries ...

I have a PowerBook 1400, which I have not been using much,lately. I picke=
d it=20
out of the shelf a few days ago and started it up (on AC) and the battery=
=20
icon indicated "there is no battery in this machine".

After a lot of unsuccessful "taking the battery out and re-inserting it"=20
cycles, I remembered that I read somewhere, that I should try to put it i=
nto=20
the freezer for a while and then try use it again.

Ok, what did I have to loose, the battery was holding power for about 5=20
minutes about a month ago, what a heck, in the freezer it went.

about a day and a half later I took the nicely frozen battery out of the =
cold=20
and inserted it straigt into the PowerBook - nothing! Then I decided to l=
et=20
it thaugh out, outside the machine, I didn't want to get any water inside=
 the=20
PowerBook.
This morning, I inserted it and after about 30 seconds of charging it sai=
d=20
"Battery is full". Of course, I didn't believe that and unplugged the=20
PowerBook from AC.
Well, to my surprise, it held power for almost 2 hours - this is about as=
 good=20
as new, since the new battery only let me use the machine for about 2 hou=
rs=20
and 15 minutes max.

Yes, I'm definately impressed by this simple procedure and I will try thi=
s=20
with my Newton battery, too, one day, when it reaches the state of no cha=
rge.=20
I'm still using my original battery pack which came with the MP2100 when =
I=20
bought it in December 1997 (brand new, $1000).

Best regards,
Chris