Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V2 #609

From: Michael Schaefer (mpschaefer_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 17:48:20 PDT

> The article also says that Apple and IBM are working to add the .Altivec
>core to IBMs64-bit Power4 chip. I could see the Marklar >project as
>(perhaps) something they could hang over Moterola's head, saying "Look if
>you get too snippy, we can move the Mac line to x86 in 2 years". It makes
>me wonder - if they have a running version of Jaguar on x86, do they also
>have a complete x86 *Mac* buried somewhere in the skunkworks? And if Apple
>never switches over, will anyone ever see it (ghosts of Newton..)?
>
>Jim

Apple has had a x86 port of their operating system since the "Star Trek"
project back in 1992. The first version ran on a 486 and was running prior
to their decision to go with PowerPC. In fact they had the full support of
Intel in the endevour.

From what I've read. This was actually hung over Microsoft's head and when
Steve came back supposedly even more so. Rumour had it that Apple was
preparing to release it ( it was desperate at the time ) and that was why
Microsoft handed over a large bundle on money.

I personally don't think that Apple will release it. The x86 platform really
is starting show its age. Intel really needs to start from scratch.
Something they want to do with the IA-64 chips but Mircosoft is refusing to
support them ( means rewriting their OS ).

From my understanding of Altivec there is no real eqivelant on the x86
platform the MMX2 patch is partway along the same idea but lacks some of the
refinements that Altivec has.

Its always good to remember that the present Intel chips are actually RISC
based with a x86 emulator on board for compatability. That way they can
compete with PowerPC without having to ditch x86.