Re: [NTLK] Can I use a Stowaway keyboard?

From: Scott Roy Atwood (atwood_at_cs.stanford.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 18:48:53 EST

* Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net> [021029 23:41]:

> G.E. Ross wrote:
> > I've been thinking of getting a Newton keyboard and in researching things I
> > ended up at
> >
> > http://www.splorp.com/newton/stowaway/
> >
> > where I found a link to
> >
> > http://www.iptel-now.de/HOWTO/SER_PALM_KBD/ser_palm_kbd.html
> >
> > and a link to download a Newton serial driver for the stowaway keyboard!
>
> That's not a *newton* driver for the stowaway keyboard... that's a keyboard
> enabled for X11R6 (the windowing system used by most UNIX-like operating
> systems). My guess is that it was linked on that page because something
> similar could be used to interface a Stowaway keyboard to X11, because both
> the Newton keyboard and the Stowaway keyboard are serial devices.
>
> But it ultimately has nothing to do with using a Stowaway with a Newton.

I have a Stowaway for my Palm, and I would *love* to be able to use this
on my Newton. The Newton keyboard is kind of cramped and it hurts my
hands to use it for long periods of time.

It seems to me that it shouldn't be *too* hard to get this working, since
both the Stowaway keyboard and the Newton keyboard are serial devices.
But the person who was originally investigating using the Stowaway
keyboard with the Newton seems to no longer be actively working on
this project.

-Scott