Re: [NTLK] Pauls future direction...

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 12:21:03 EST

> From: "Paul Guyot" <pguyot_at_kallisys.net>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Pauls future direction...
>
> The reason why SimpleMail and Newtscape are so slow is that they ask
> NIE to send them raw data as arrays of integers.
> So here we have the NewtonScript heap that suffers from a big array
> plus the fact that each byte (8 bits) is represented by a
> NewtonScript integer (32 bits in memory).

that's true for text -- there's some encoding mapping via arrays.

Newt's Cape xfers some files as binary (.pkg, .gif, .jpg, .pdb, etc.)
but that can be slow anyway, even when Content-Length is known and larger
buffers are used.

when there's no Content-Length provided by server, text resorts to
line-at-a-time transfer, and binary to byte-at-a-time(!) to avoid losing
data due to endpoint buffer bugs.

> Plus all the type check
> when you access it.
> It would be more convenient to have binaries there.
> Plus it would be better if the C++ code handled more of the transfer
> (like sending HTTP requests, checking the result, etc).

sounds good! (and maybe even time then to resurrect Waba;
or even better yet a 'real' Java... I've been spoiled by having nice
libraries for http:, https: connections).

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com