Re: [NTLK] Dvorak (was clie (OT))

From: good-dog_at_northshore.net
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 06:09:37 EST

On Saturday, October 26, 2002, at 11:30 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:15:00 -0500
> From: Tom McDougal <TMcDougal_at_newted.org>
> Subject: [NTLK] Dvorak (was clie (OT))
>

> Just to expose myself as a total geek, I actually do use Dvorak on
> every
> machine I use regularly, including this Newton (thank you Adam Tow!).

Yes, we must bow and light incense to Adam Tow. Adam Tow, Adam Tow,
Adam Tow...

I, too, use Dvorak on every machine I work on, including the PC at
work. Co-workers or the IT people sometimes come by to help out with
some project, and inadvertently start typing and immediately become
flustered. They back off from the computer as if it's some kind of
large, hairy spider. My reputation as "weird" is firmly cemented
everywhere I go where people discover I'm a Dvorak user. Apparently
there's not too many of us.
> Used
> to be I could switch back and forth between Dvorak & Qwerty (easiest if
> they were on different computers, hence different contexts). But, as I
> go
> longer & longer rarely using QWERTY it gets harder to switch.

Me, too, and as you say, I rarely use QWERTY unless forced by
circumstance. To me it's a much more pleasant typingexperience. The
initial clunky learning curve soon dissipated into much faster typing.
I've even popped the keys off my newton and eMate keyboards and
rearranged them in the Dvorak sequence. You should see the looks I get
when people notice my keyboard.

Sorry, folks for the off topic-ness, but Dvorak users are even less
populous than Newton users, so it's fitting there are at least 2 of us
on this list.

Mark