Re: [NTLK] Batteries---MP100 & 2000

From: Darrell Greenwood (lists1_at_telus.net)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 19:02:15 EST

On 10/27/02 at 8:28 PM -0500, Bungalow930_at_aol.com wrote the following :

>After reading the Newton Battery FAQ, I recently bought a NiCd/NiMh AA/AAA
>recharger and some AAA NiCds for my wife's MP100, with the intention of using
>the charger for my new 2000's AA's.
>
>Unfortunately, when I installed the 4 AAAs (after charging them) her MP100
>didn't like them at all and responded slowly, had contrast problems, etc.
>
>I'm wondering if I should take the NiCd battery charger back (it's a Radio
>Shack), and get an alkaline recharger. Any suggestions? Anyone have
>problems with NiCds in their MP100???
>
>Thanks!

I use a MP100.

For whatever it is worth, I found some high capacity AAAs at my local
electronics/drug store recently (Energizer ACCU Rechargeable NiMH,
700 mAh). They are roughly 3 times the capacity of NiCd 250 mAh AAAs.

I put them in the battery carrier for non-rechargeables and put a
small piece of tape over the sensing switch in the upper left hand
corner of the battery compartment. As a result I can use the Newton
Power Adapter charger I have. Works fine. (I choose to do it this way
as I have another AAA battery use while travelling and this allows me
to carry only one extremely light, (couple of ounces) charger for the
AAAs. One obviously could rebuild NiCd battery packs with these NiMHs
and forget about the tape)

Battery life is very good with 700 mAh NiMH AAAs, several days to a
week or more of casual use of my MP100, a full day of very heavy use.

Cheers,

Darrell