Re: [NTLK] More Pics of WALT

From: Mark Janello (mjanello_at_newted.com)
Date: Sat Oct 26 2002 - 10:19:11 EDT

Looking at the pics I'm thinking it's a reworked powerbook 100. Like the
duos, it used the external 19-pin floppy drive (it's the same drive,
actually for both machines). Remembering powerbook 1xx's and duos I've had
and worked on, the 'two-level' motherboard is more like the 1xx's than the
duos.

Can you see a processor chip? (Likely it's under the second-story
motherboard, though). If it's a 68000 then it's a powerbook 100, since
even the earliest duos (1992 if I'm remembering right) had a 68030, as did
all the other powerbook 1xx's.

Wasn't there another Apple multifunction device using duo parts? I'm
thinking it was called a 'Pippin' but am not 100% sure. I saw one came up
on eBay but then Apple legal made them pull it. I think it was from 92-93
also.

If you could get a hold of a duo floppy and some boot disks (I'd try 6.0.8
and 7.1 given the vintage) that would be an interesting experiment! Can
you hear the drive spin up when it turns on?

Mark