Re: [NTLK] Question regarding how long flash ram lasts?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 16:25:11 EDT

On 25/10/02 16:01, "Dan" <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have a question on flash ram. I understand that they only have a certain
> number of write cycles then fail. My question is in general how long does a
> flash card/ram last. Also I understand that the 2000/2100 Newtons use flash
> ram for the main storage, compared to the previous models which were SRAM.
> So how long till the internal flash fails? Should I be using the internal
> for unchanging data like program packages and the cards for data that
> changes on a daily basis (names, dates, notes, etc). Or is the wear so
> small in a newton it will take say 20 years of constant use in a newton for
> it to start to fail?

I've heard a couple of times that they can sustain over 100,000 cycles,
which is quite a lot in a Newton.

-Laurent.

creationism n.: The (false) belief that large, innovative software designs
can be completely specified in advance and then painlessly magicked out of
the void by the normal efforts of a team of normally talented programmers.
In fact, experience has shown repeatedly that good designs arise only from
evolutionary, exploratory interaction between one (or at most a small
handful of) exceptionally able designer(s) and an active user population --
and that the first try at a big new idea is always wrong. Unfortunately,
because these truths don't fit the planning models beloved of management,
they are generally ignored.