Re: [NTLK] G3's off topic!

From: Martin Joseph (marty_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 15:13:26 EDT

On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 04:03 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> NOTE: I'm still firmly in the past with my PowerComputing clone and
> 7600
> (and several Duos). I'm simply giving you what I've gleaned by paying
> attention to various Mac sites and discussions.
>
> - Eric.

I have two powerComputing boxen running OSX. A powerwave G4/450 and a
powertowerpro G3/400. Both of these are running Jaguar using Ryan
Rempel's incredible Xpostfacto support for "old world" macs.

I garbage picked both of these rigs, and then added my own CPU/RAM and
Ultra/Wide SCSI setups to them. Also the Powerwave has a Radeon PCI
(original), so that it supports accelerated OpenGL.

All and all, amazingly speedy and solid. It is best to AVOID trying the
new dual G4 boxes, because they are SO fast. Anyhow, another upside
to this type of PCI mac hardware is that you don't need that stupid
keyspan adapter as these machines have actual honest to god serial
ports (wow!).

I haven't paid for nSync yet, but I will, I just rely on my Newton
too much to be an alpha tester for it. I will have to wait (it's not
easy) until nSync goes beta at least, and hopefully for TCP/IP too!

I'm dreaming of an nSync conduit for Simplemail as well (This is kind
dumb come to think of it), and support for the wireless connection.

This list rocks!
John Anderson for President. (again)
Paul Guyot for king!
Marty