Re: [NTLK] bootstrapping progress

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 21:47:20 EDT

Daniel Ridge wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've got the two devices over an ad-hoc modem connection.
>
> When unixNPI failed to work for me, I took a look at the source and I notice that unixNPI
> expect a kind of framing on the data that isn't there.

Yeah, it expects there to be MNP compression. On a modem connection, this is
handled by the modems, so it doesn't have to be done in software. Could you
tell your desktop modem not to expect MNP compression? Maybe then UnixNPI
would work...

> As soon as the modem connection is established, the newton says:
>
> newtondockrtdk\000\000\000\004\000\000\000\011
>
> without any framing or checksumming...
>
> Does anyone have a UNIX tool which will speak this language to the newton?

Nope, but maybe the docking protocol spec will help you out here:

http://www.kallisys.com/files/newton/Bowels/docking_protocol.txt

Especially, see the examples of a package load at the bottom.