Re: [NTLK] two quick Newton questions

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 17:44:48 EDT

I don't think you will want to do this. The USB spec:
http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq.html#pow1
lists a maximum of 500ma, and the Newton *can* and
does draw considerably more than that amount.
Unless you are going to plug your Newt into a Powered
hub (which defeats the purpose of your "portable"
charging system), there is no way that you can charge
your Newt with your USB powered laptop. If you do so,
your ibook will spending another week (or longer) at
Apple...this time for a fried motherboard! I for one
wouldn't risk it.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Daniel Ridge <dskr_at_mac.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002, at 12:31PM, Laurent
> Daudelin <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com> wrote:
>

> >On 22/10/02 15:11, "Daniel Ridge" <dskr_at_mac.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Question 1:
> >>
> >> My iBook is away at Apple service for the week,
> but I'd like to use it to
> >> charge my Newton
> >> when it returns. Has anyone built a FireWire or
> USB charging device for the
> >> Newton?
> >>

> >Question 1: no. There are no drivers for either USB
> or FireWire on the
> >Newton.
>
> This is not quite what I meant. USB (A side) and
> FireWire (6 pin) ports can both provide
> power to dumb devices whithout requiring either
> drivers or explicit software support.
>
> This is how USB devices like the Kensington
> Fly-Light operate -- they have no ASICs.USB is
> supposed to give you 100mA for free without
> negotiating a higher power level.
>
> I already have a dumb USB charger for my Motorola
> Startac and I'm impressed with the way that my iPod
> charges over FireWire.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had already made a dumb
> charging circuit for the Newton that used either USB
> or Firewire.

=====
Why is that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life
in the universe are pointed away from Earth?
     --Anonymous