Re: [NTLK] two quick Newton questions

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 15:31:53 EDT

On 22/10/02 15:11, "Daniel Ridge" <dskr_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Question 1:
>
> My iBook is away at Apple service for the week, but I'd like to use it to
> charge my Newton
> when it returns. Has anyone built a FireWire or USB charging device for the
> Newton?
>
> Question 2:
>
> I'm looking for a way to install some software on my Newton MP2100 from my
> linux laptop using
> either the IrDA port or a PCMCIA modem in the Newton. Does anyone have a
> bootstrapping guide?
> (the laptop in question is a SONY VAIO 505)
>
> My Newton doesn't have Sloup or any other IrTTY - compatible software
> installed (I'm guessing that Sloup over IR uses IrTTY -- is this right?)
>
> I would be happy with either a solution that allowed me to use a phone cord
> between the Newton and
> the laptop or which required me to dial my ISP from the Newton.
>
> I'm trying to bootstrap my way up to using the newton with a Lucent WaveLan
> silver card.
>
> BTW: I'm not especially interested in acquiring a dongle or a SER-001 at this
> point -- as I'll never use it once I get the wireless driver installed.

Question 1: no. There are no drivers for either USB or FireWire on the
Newton.

Question 2: no, AFAIK, there is no Unix solution using IrDA or a PCMCIA
modem to connect to a Newton. There was a product called UnixNPI, but I
think it only did allow serial connections. I don't think you'll be able to
use a phone card to connect your Newton to your laptop. Unless you can find
someone near you that could load the required drivers on an external Flash
RAM card, I'm sorry to say, but with your setup, you're pretty much SOL...
Sorry... You might want to start thinking about getting an SER-001 in the
meantime.

-Laurent.