Re: [NTLK] Macintosh Performa 6400/IrDA/Newton

From: RADAR9999_at_aol.com
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 03:17:41 EDT

> I see what appears to
> be an Ir reciver port on the front,

I think you'll find that this is just the receiver for the remote control.
You can fit a TV card. There is a remote control that comes up on eBay now
and again (I sold one there the other week) that can be used to change
channels etc. The remote will also control the CD player. Apple also had
some form of FM tuner but I'm not sure if the remote covered that as well.

As far as IR and Newton go, I think it's a non-starter. In fact I hope so as
I sold a 6400/200 last year and am still regretting it!!

HTH

IIRC --The IR port on earlier 68K and 603/604 units are not IRDA compatible.
They used a proprietary apple comm protocol to allow early powerbooks to sync
with desktops and other powerbooks. I don't believe that they switched to
IRDA until the first couple of G3's were introduced. As for the remotes that
were used to control the TV and Radio tuner's I can only speculate that they
also utilized a subset of the control codes inside apple's IR protocol. I
looked at syncing my 5400 to my newt 130 (later 2000) and found out there was
no EASY way to do it. IIRC the IMac was the first IRDA compatible G3
available to the masses.

Edward R Johnson

"The Mission of the Marine Corps Rifle Squad is to seek out, close with, and
destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, or to repel the Enemy's assault by
fire and close combat".