Re: [NTLK] Did I fry my Newton Modem?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 00:04:08 EDT

on 16/10/02 23:46, Mark Janello at mjanello_at_newted.com wrote:

> I tried to download my mail from work the other day, and now my modem won't
> work. I have since sheepishly remembered that some office phone systems
> are not pleased to be connected to modems and therefore kill them. It's a
> large university office phone system (dial 9 to get out, 4-digit
> extensions, etc.), though I don't know any more than that.
>
> Anyway, now it can't detect a dial tone, even at home. I've reinstalled
> SimpleMail, restarted, tried the modem in the other slot. Nada.
>
> Ideas? Sell me a new modem?

You probably connected your modem to a digital jack and I'm afraid it is
dead. You can probably find cheap PCMCIA modems on eBay, or from some other
vendors on the Internet.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

cargo cult programming n.: A style of (incompetent) programming dominated by ritual inclusion of code or program structures that serve no real purpose. A cargo cult programmer will usually explain the extra code as a way of working around some bug encountered in the past, but usually neither the bug nor the reason the code apparently avoided the bug was ever fully understood (compare shotgun debugging, voodoo programming).