Re: [NTLK] Dictation and Voice Commands

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 15:11:50 EDT

> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Dictation and Voice Commands
> From: Laurent Daudelin <laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net>
>

> on 16/10/02 00:11, David M. Ensteness at denstene_at_mac.com wrote:
>
>> What software exists for dictation and voice commands and what is good
>> and where can I find it?
>
> Sorry, there is none on the Newton. Dragon Systems did start working on a
> prototype, which is on UNNA, but it just recognizes a few words (state
> names) and numbers. The Newton was killed before Dragon could release the
> final version.

I thought I'd parenthetically add the final bits to the story. For long-time
readers, my "Grail" was to get the beta of this software released. I have
called and written many people at dragon systems, even L&H; the company that
acquired them.

I found there were posters printed up (tried to get one - no go) that were
part of a "Talk to Newton" ad campaign, to coincide with the release of the
MP2100.

I was even able to get a request forwarded - via e-mail - to the original
founders of Dragon systems, who were trying to get the company back from
L&H. The purpose was a to get free advertising about the "new" Dragon by
releasing the Newton software as 'unsupported freeware'. Nope.