Re: [NTLK] 2x00 ROM image capture?

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 02:06:34 EDT

On Tuesday, October 15, 2002, at 05:12 AM, Jeff Sheldon wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Paul Guyot wrote:
>
>> Afterwards, you'll want to disassemble it (well, I guess). Check your
>> local legislation about the right of doing so.
>
> I'm sure the ever-lovable DMCA makes this a no-brainer in the US, but
> do any other Americans know of laws that would prohibit this?

Disclaimer: IANAL but have dealt with this before. According to the DMCA
it is only prohibited if you consider the Newton a copy-protection
device, you circumvent the copy-protection mechanism and you distribute
your crack. But that seems very far fetched to me :)

And another thing: whatever the EULA for a specific product says (like
"you cannot disassemble the program code"), forget it, it is not
possible to enforce additions to a sales contract after you have bought
something (with the exception of two States in the US). In the rarest
cases, you license a program, rather, you buy it (first sale doctrine).
And then you're free to do anything you want with it that doesn't
conflict with copyright law. http://www.anticrack.de/ has more on this
(it might look a bit chaotic but there are some absolutely true gems on
that site).

Eckhart