Re: [NTLK] poutine

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 11:08:04 EDT

On 14/10/02 10:25, "David Dunavant" <icecrusher_at_msn.com> wrote:

> Ok, I'm sorry but I'm lost. What is poutine?

I've just found a good site with a nice article about poutine. It's at
<http://www.montrealfood.com/poutine.html>.

-Laurent.

C++ /C'-pluhs-pluhs/ n.: Designed by Bjarne Stroustrup of AT&T Bell Labs as
a successor to C. Now one of the languages of choice, although many hackers
still grumble that it is the successor to either Algol 68 or Ada (depending
on generation), and a prime example of second-system effect. Almost anything
that can be done in any language can be done in C++, but it requires a
language lawyer to know what is and what is not legal-- the design is almost
too large to hold in even hackers' heads. Much of the cruft results from
C++'s attempt to be backward compatible with C. Stroustrup himself has said
in his retrospective book "The Design and Evolution of C++" (p. 207),
"Within C++, there is a much smaller and cleaner language struggling to get
out." [Many hackers would now add "Yes, and it's called Java" --ESR]