Re: [NTLK] Naming Poll

From: Anton Balaban (anton_at_balaban.ru)
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 13:51:56 EDT

Hi!

I want to contribute to the naming contest. That's what popped out of my
mind:

"JamSync" or "X-JamSync"
"X-Stripe" or just "Stripe"

I'm a sound engeneer and those names have their roots in synchronisation of
audio/video machines. Jam Sync is a technique of synchronising of an audio
tape which has poor or broken time-code on it (without Jam Sync you
wouldn't be able to syncronise this tape at all). I think this situation
resembles Newton very much - until recently we could not even dream of
syncronising our machines with OSX, and soon (hopefully) it will be
reality. I also think that "JamSync" calls for some juicy original icons,
not just that beaten up arrows.

"Stripe" is actually a verb, it's a process of recording a fresh time-code
to the tape. "Stripe this tape with timecode, please". And Stripe (as a
noun) has an assotiation with tiger, which is a cat like Jaguar, Puma and
Cheetah (incarnations of MacOS X). There could be a cool original icons of
Stripe either.

--
Anton Balaban
http://www.newt.nm.ru