Re: [NTLK] Is this Newton dead?

From: Paul Braun (splendor_at_ctgonline.org)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 13:25:35 EDT

On 11 Oct 2002, at 13:22, Peter Cameron wrote:

> on 10/11/02 10:13 AM, James Grubic at jgrubic_at_bozeman.k12.mt.us wrote:
> > I got a Newton 2000 (upped to 2100) off eBay, and with a Newton
> power > adapter, it only powers on about once every 20 times I try,
> and when it > does power on, it continously reboots.
> Have you tried a brainwipe (deep reset)?
>
> Peter

This sounds like the one I picked up at a garage sale. I found a guy
on the net somewhere who repairs Newts, and described the
symptoms exactly. Mine came with a third-party power adapter
spliced into the Newt plug.... he said that improper supply voltages
will fry the power supply card inside the Newt, causing the exact
behavior you describe. Costs about $75 to get it fixed. When I had
the chance to buy a 2100 for $65, I figured I just saved $10 and
had a spare cover and display to boot.....

I would imagine you've got the same problem. Hopefully, you didn't
pay a lot for it.

Paul Braun WD9GCO
2102 Yorktowne Dr
Valparaiso, IN 46383
splendor_at_ctgonline.org

"A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a dog
without a bunch of bricks tied to its head."

Quote from Microsoft Programmers' Guide: "If it ain't broke,
it needs more 'features'."