Re: [NTLK] Bizarre Dongle !

From: Woo Lee (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 06:47:24 EDT

------------------
>??? What's all this? I take it Klez is some sort of virus?

Yup, a 'mass-mailing' worm.
------------------
>And what is a ".scr" file (I've never seen one.)?

".scr"=3D 'script file' and ".pif"=3D Program Information File' are sent =
to execute on MS' Outlook and Outlook Express.
------------------
>Are you really saying that there's now
>a virus that can infect a Mac via e-mail? And if so, what OS?
>
>- Eric.

What happened is Virex missed these worms(on my Win.98SE Norton =
quarantined W32.Klez.H_at_mm virus, but it still sent a copy out) since the =
virus scanner was up-to-date and configured to scan email. As I =
opened(clicked) the email, it setup a hidden text file, had to use 'Unhide =
tools' to find the text files. Using the finder to get info. on the =
unknown file, there was no name, just a 'text' file, 107-147 MB. size. =
Using the desktop Virex drop-scan, the scanner froze, had to force quit. =
The dialog box said 'scanning unknown file'. The files on the Mac are =
fine, but those 'text files' were hiding on the Mac and sending copies on =
the second and fourth Friday of the month. At least I was able to unhide =
and delete the 'text files'.
D'oh, Daniel's computer sent me a 67KB. file with '.exe.pif' extensions, =
at least I checked with my Newt. first, :-)

!ooW
Pres. of Los Angeles Newton Users Group.