Re: [NTLK] Hardware/Software Combination

From: Simon Roberts (srob_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 04:53:20 EDT

On Friday, October 11, 2002, at 06:15 am, Norman Palardy wrote:

> If he dynamically links to it this should be fine and not require his
> product to be GPL'd

I don't think that it has ever been satisfactorily determined once and
for all whether dynamic linking is sufficient to get around the GPL.
Some people believe that there should really be no fundamental
difference between static linking and dynamic linking with respect to
the GPL.

Far more important IMHO is whether this app is a derivative work of
unixnpi and whether it can work without it, using an alternative means
of installation. I would guess that it isn't and can!

On the subject of licenses, without wishing to start a "religious war",
GPL is not all bad and I am personally very grateful that there is some
excellent GPL'd Newton software out there. A BSD like license is also
just fine.

Simon