Re: [NTLK] serial connection via NIE?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 18:13:08 EDT

eric engle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I feel ashamed to ask, and will gladly read the
> nearest faq.
>
> But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to
> connect my newton to my computer using NIE and
> simplemail.

First of all, do you have NIE 1.1 or 2.0? To check, find the "Newton Internet
Enabler" package in your Extras and tap on it.

> I have all the information about my computer, dns,
> router the works - but cannot figure out how to enter
> the subnet mask into the NIE - there is no slip for it
> - do I just add it as an additional server?

When you set up a connection profile in NIE setup (which is a separate
package, which you must install), it should prompt you for a subnet mask.

> The error message I get is that none of my e-mail
> accounts are valid. I have tried both slip and ppp.

So are you getting a connection then? Does the connection dialog go away and
the SimpleMail one pop up? What version of SimpleMail do you have? Did you
add a SimpleMail setup to your card in Owner's Info?

What I'm trying to say is, we need a ton more information to debug your
problem here :)