Re: [NTLK] ATA Known Issue?

From: Michael Graham (ded23x_at_netscape.net)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 15:46:07 EDT

Hi all,

I'm new to the list and found the following message in the archives:

>From: johnhl_at_patterson.k12.ca.us (John Hawksworth-Lutzow)
>Date: 2002-10-02 15:08:00

>Paul,
>I know youıre taking a few days off, but I may not be near a computer this
>weekend, so I wanted to send you a message about a strange warning Iım
>getting. Every time I turn my Newton on, it shuts off and restarts after >a second or two, activates the internal packages, and then I get a message
>that says ³Please buy this software instead of trying to hack it.² I can
>assure you Iım not trying to hack your software. Iıve tried re-installing
>it and cleaning the prefs. Is it a conflict with something else on my >newt?
>It happens with both of my SmartMedia cards and my ATA hard disk.

>Once the restart process is over, everything works great. And itıs >really a bonus to be able to use more of my card. Itıs really a minor >issue, but I thought you would want to know.
>Thanks!
>John

I just received a 32MB CF card and adapter from Kingston today and I am having the same problem. Aside from the reset and the 'hack' message, the card seems to be working flawlessly. I was wondering if anyone else had run into this problem, and whether a solution had been found. Thanks.

Mike.