Re: [NTLK] Newton & waveLan

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 01:52:18 EDT

on 03/10/02 22:25, Andrew Shlapak at divise_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> Good day - again,
>
> I am trying to connect to our LAN & the internet via an AirPort Base
> Station w/an M2000 and a Lucent WaveLan Silver card. I've tried to
> follow Mr. Laurent Daudelin's cookbook instructions.
>
> The outcome is:
> 1. NetHopper produces "Initializing", "Connecting" w/"Loading the DHCP
> protocol" then an error code of "-60088". The lil' green LEDs on the
> card blink in unison several times...
>
> 2. If I attempt to use the Dock the dialog brings up the AirPort
> "worksite", but wants to "Connect via Modem", "Connect to Home" and
> "will dial 598-1700".
>
> Any help and/or insight would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at my
> past list email 'til I'm cross-eyed...

According to the NIE developer doc:

constant kInetToolErrDhcpReqFailed := -60088;

So, something is wrong with the way your Newton try to reach the DHCP
server. Did you enter the server IP address in your Internet Setup?

As for using the Dock, when you insert your WaveLan card, there should be a
dialog that comes on screen with a checkbox that says "Use card for
AppleTalk", or you can go to the Preferences->AppleTalk and, while your card
is in the Newton, select "Connect using" -> "EtherTalk" and choose your
WaveLan card from the "Card" popup. When launching the Dock, select "Connect
using" -> "AppleTalk". That should do it.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

benchmark n.: [techspeak] An inaccurate measure of computer performance. "In the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and benchmarks." Well-known ones include Whetstone, Dhrystone, Rhealstone (see h), the Gabriel LISP benchmarks (see gabriel), the SPECmark suite, and LINPACK. See also machoflops, MIPS, smoke and mirrors.