Re: [NTLK] initial connection question

From: TT Mooney (ttmooney_at_dilettantism.com)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 20:31:52 EDT

hi dede --

the hardware you need to connect your newton to your tibook is as
follows:

usb to serial converter, for example, the keyspan usb twin serial
converter (http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA28x/) -- i'm not sure
if that's what you mean by 'card.' usb pcmcia cards will not work in
the newton, if that's what you mean.

newton interconnect adapter (this takes the flat connector on the
mp2x00 and emate and makes it into a regular din-8). you can get these
on ebay, or perhaps find one at a friendly apple authorized service
center. perhaps someone can loan you one. these are typically about $20.

serial din 8 to din 8 cable. this is a standard serial cable for older
macs, and has been used for modems, printers, etc. you can also use a
pair of phonenet or localtalk boxes, but the serial cable is way easier.

with these three items, you can load nie2 and drivers for ethernet or
wifi cards on the newton. you then put them in a box and pretty much
never look at them again, until your newt is in real trouble.

ttm

On Thursday, October 3, 2002, at 05:15 PM, Dede Johnson wrote:

> On Thursday, October 3, 2002, at 07:05 PM, TT Mooney wrote:
>
>> you have to load packages via serial.
>
> Thanks. That was the info I needed. Now I need to find a serial cable.
> I do have a USB card and dongle. Will that do? I am connecting to a
> TiBook.
>
> Dede J
> Maine

******