Re: [NTLK] Newton keyboard questions

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 17:42:23 EDT

I have a keyboard but don't use it much anymore (most
of the letters are rubbed off of the keys so you can't
tell what you're typing anymore...)
1) It needs either the Dongle, or the SER-001. I
suggest that you get the SER-001 because it will
destroy your NIC after a lot of use.
2) The keyboard I have doesn't use batteries and it
doesn't seem to affect the battery life of the Newt
3) I don't cart it around...the handwriting
recognition is good enough. Judicious use of
expansions and alt-rec and other enhancement
applications give me an almost perfect recognition
4) I did't like the keyboard. I'm used to typing on
one of those "wave" keyboards and find regular flat
keyboards difficult to type on now.
Ed (Happy October Fest!)
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- "David C. Myers" <myers_at_aedifice.net> wrote:

> Questions for those of you with keyboards on your
> MP2x00s...
>
> 1. Does the keyboard require a dongle? Or does it
> connect directly to the
> Newton's serial port?
>
> 2. Does it kill the battery life? (Or does it take
> batteries of its own?)
>
> 3. How do you cart it around? Having it clang
> around inside my briefcase
> doesn't seem like a good idea. Do you use some sort
> of case that holds
> both Newton and keyboard? Any pointers on where to
> find such a thing?
>
> 4. Is it worth it? (Say, for general note taking at
> the library or
> whatever.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> -David.

=====
"Bush, himself the most intellectually backward American president of my political lifetime, is surrounded by advisers whose bellicosity is exceeded only by their political, military and diplomatic illiteracy,"
 - Gerald Kaufman, a lawmaker from the governing British Labor Party