Re: [NTLK] Newton keyboard questions

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 14:33:31 EDT

"David C. Myers" <myers_at_aedifice.net> wrote:
> 1. Does the keyboard require a dongle?
   Yes. Or the highly recommended SER-001 upgrade.

> 2. Does it kill the battery life?
   No batteries of its own. Doesn't seem to impact battery life _ tapping on the screen takes power too so I'd guess the power draw of either input method is about the same.

> 3. How do you cart it around?
   I have the nylon Newton case that hold an MP2x00 and the keyboard. Also has a board to prop up the Newt. Fairly compact. Abcom made a case that held both the Newton and the keyboard as well.

> 4. Is it worth it? (Say, for general note taking at
> the library or whatever.)
   The keyboard can greatly speed input. However, I added an eMate to the collection for any heavy writing chores (one piece, designed for typing and really long battery life _ about 10 hours continuous use with backlight). I can then beam the document to my 2100 or Classroom Exchange it into the Mac if I want it in AppleWorks.

Peter