Re: [NTLK] [OT] Airport Security craziness

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 12:50:58 EDT

Here is from my recent experience flying to and from
Hawaii to the east coast of the USA. (I think I even
started this thread many weeks ago)
First...get to the airport with plenty of time! and I
do mean plenty just incase you have to fill out a
damage report on your Newt.
When you approach the x-ray/scanner, pull a guard
asside (not one of the ones with the rifles) and show
them that the device turns on. This is important
because if it doesn't after going through the scanner,
then you need to fill out one of those reports I
mentioned above.
Take the battery pack and all memory/newtork/modem
cards out of the Newt. The vibrations of traveling on
that conveyor causes undue stress on the spring
tension in the battery pack and may cause fatigue and
no longer make adequete contact to the battery pack.
Grab two baskets for the Newt. Take one basket and
place it upside-down on the belt. Place your Newt on
the now elevated basket and place the second basket
overtop of the Newt to create a kinda cage to protect
the Newt. The object here is to elevate the Newt above
the conveyor belt. I don't trust the motors that drive
the belt to not cause damage to the Newt.
Maintain visual contact with your Newt when it comes
out the other side...this is important because you
don't want someone making off with it! Hopefully the
makeshift cage you created with the two overturned
baskets adequetly hides the Newt from wrong-doers.
Grab your Newt and find that guard you showed the
running Newton to. Pop in the battery pack and power
on the Newt. Let the guard see that the Newt turns on.
If not, fill out a damage report. If it works, great!
I took my Newt onboard with me because I had several
books I wanted to read on the flight on my Newt...but
if you don't anticipate using your Newt on the flight,
you might be better off checking it with your baggage.
But, do so with the batterys removed and the PC cards
removed. (Keep a backup at home and carry a backup on
a memory card with you incase something happens when
you get to your destination)
You will find that at all the airports you go to, they
will fight you when you show them the Newt. They will
not guarantee the safety of your Newt and they will
not accept responsibility or blame. They state that
your alternative is to just not get on the plane! (as
if that's an alternative)
Oh yeah, make sure to pack your AC adapter in with
your on-board bags just incase the battery pack dies,
you can prove that the Newt is not functioning by
plugging it in (they will claim that the batterys are
dead if it fails to powerup)
Well, I hope my experience will help you have a more
pleasant trip than I had (the entire saga is
documented in the archives...)
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Seth Hurwitz <shurwit1_at_jhmi.edu> wrote:

> Has anyone travelled recently with their Newt? Any
> tips? I'm flying in a
> few weeks and debating whether I should take my
> Newton, for her safety
> and mine. ;)

=====
Roll that beautiful bean footage!