Re: [NTLK] [OT] Airport Security craziness

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 23:47:07 EDT

>> To me, this indicates that they don't have a real clue how to deal with
>> recent problems, and are just going thru motions, doing "something".
> Clearly not - do you really think a plane could be hijacked with a
> plastic
> safety razor?

This is a very old OT thread, but I remember someone saying early on
after 9/11 that a trained terrorist could slit someones throat with a
credit card (scary though, now we can't carry our plastic cards, as well
as forks). When I went to WWDC, my only run-in was I forgot the pair
of scissors in my bag (I knit, that's why they were there). Then they
asked me to remove my shoes (I wonder if they'd have asked me to remove
my shoes if I had remembered to get rid of the scissors beforehand).
But another passenger was stopped because he had a "laser plumb-bob" - I
assume something like a surveyor's transit without legs). He was quite
adament with the person there, "I take it with me all the time" (I think
he was a stage rigger) - but in the end had to check it, and was quite
miffed.

  There was a good opinion column a while back in the Wall Street Journal
entitled something like "Airport Security: Not quite there yet" about
veteran traveller's who noted all sorts of inconsistencies between
airports in their screening procedures, and one woman who wasn't allowed
to board because she demanded that her purse remain in view while her
bag was search - allowed under federal transportation regulations - but
she was kicked off because she "held up the flow"..

Jim