Re: [NTLK] Screen Shooter

From: Brian Ogilvie (bogilvie_at_mathworks.com)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 15:10:33 EDT

At 01:54 PM 5/28/2002 -0400, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:
>------------------------------
>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] [ANN] Screen Shooter
>From: "victor_at_newtontalk.net" <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
>Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 13:39:36 -0400
>

>No - that one's only greyscale. Pauls' GIF Server is 16 greys. Bug him
>about
>it.
>
>-- Victor

I am that 'guy.' You don't want my GIFMaker, you want Paul's newer GIF
Server version.

Mine is written in NewtonScript and is really a proof-of-concept. I had the
16-level grey working and then removed it because it used up all the heap
on my machine and took several minutes to render a full screen. Doing 16x16
or 32x32 16-level grey GIFs was very doable but still slow and memory
intensive and was not really useful for NPDS.

Paul's is written in C++ and is much faster and has a better memory footprint.