Re: [NTLK] Newt Stolen; Looking for advice on a replacement.

From: Humphreys, David (URB) (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 13:00:58 EDT

> Thames Valley police informed me that there was virtually no
> chance that
> this will be recovered, and that the first thing that most
> thieves do is to
> wipe them clean of info for resale, so they can't be traced.
> (IF they know
> how to do this on a Newt) But at this point, I'm more concerned about
> missing hardware than a 'security breach', per se.

Bummer, Ross.
However, even if the unit is completely wiped and left without batteries for an extended period, there is a unique
'silicon serial number' that
can be read to positively identify it. Of course, knowing what that is
to start with is the key. I would urge all Newties to get a copy of
Newton ID 2.0 from UNNA, run it and note the number that is displayed.
That is your unique number. Write it down and lock it in your deposit
box. Also note the serial number under the port door (although this
can be peeled off)

> I seem to recall that there is one hack (SER001?) that will
> replace the dongle port with a standard serial port (sounds nifty)

That would be my SER-001 serial adaptor board, $62.50 (shipping inc.)
Go to:

www.mrpcbman.tripod.com

Regards,

PCBman