[NTLK] Status bar and other questions

From: Rgdtad_at_aol.com
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 17:08:07 EDT

I am learning NewtScript so that I can program my MP2100 and I am having a
few problems.

1. I have a status bar at the bottom of my applications, but when I add
buttons to it, the Glance that pops up when you tap the clock goes under
them. How do I make it display on top of them?

2. How can I dynamically make a NewtScript expression from a user inputted
string? For example, I have the string "x 2 ^" and I want the expression
'Pow(x,2)' in a form that I can evaluate for different values of x. All that
I am concerned with is math.

3. How do I get ink-based input into an array of points? I have a region
that the user can draw in, and I need to get the points that the user drew
on.

4. I need some help with statistical analysis. I need to be able to take
the set of points I obtained from number 3 and do any of the following
regressions depending on which the user picks: Linear, Quadratic,
Exponential, Logarithmic, Sine, Cosine, and Power. I would also like to be
able to fit the data to conic sections (circle, ellipse, horizontal or
vertical parabola or hyperbola). I do not know how to do the math for these
since I have not taken any statistics courses.

5. How should I show that a shape on a possibly cluttered screen is
selected? I was thinking about making it gray, but that is not consistent
with the UI guidelines. Also, should I have a separate selection button that
gives finer control or should I use the normal
hold-the-stylus-down-for-two-seconds and make the user deal with the big pen
for the sake of consistency?

In case you are wondering, I am making something similar to Math Xpander
which is being distributed by Saltire Software (www.saltire.com). The
program that they call Math Xpander was originally part of a Hewlett-Packard
WinCE device called the Xpander. It ran as an app under the PocketPC OS on a
handheld device with a 4 level grayscale screen that was 240*320, 8 MB of
memory and a small keypad on the bottom. HP's device was canceled just a
month before it was to go into full production (stupid Carly!!!). HP was
generous enough to release the programs that made it so cool, but not the
source.

Dylan Stewart AC5ZH