Re: [NTLK] What would have happened to PDA market if Apple had wa ited?

From: Sacha (sascha103_at_hetnet.nl)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 11:00:50 EDT

John Ruschmeyer wrote:

I tend to agree, but it still leaves the questions like why pull back/kill
Newton, Inc? And why not license the technology to one of the offerers at
the time? Clearly, there was more than money in this decision.

<<<john>>>

I tink that SJ learned a lot in the time he left Apple and headed those=20
other companies. He still is a visionair, but more to earth than he was=
 before.

Look at the iMac's: people thought he was nuts, but in the end he was this=
=20
time at the right place in the right time. Killing Newton and not selling=20
the good stuff means that he can use them later at the right time.

Now, to me it looks like this are the right times. A new OS with new=20
possibilities (HWR), the famous "Digital Hub" with all it's applications,=20
iPod with all it's ''secret" possibilities, if you put the puzzle pieces=20
together Apple is going into a very good direction.

People have been discussing the use of HWR together with a Wacom graphic=20
tablet. Well, what if Apple would come - later - with a device for input,=20
which would work with the main computer?

And what if that input device could be - later - expanded for other=20
purposes? Bluetooth connection can be used for a lot of different=
 applications.

As I said, I believe that SJ grew wiser and is now much more able to=20
introduce new technologies at the right moment.

We on this list, and all other Newton-users are a very small group compared=
=20
to the huge amount of average computer users. However devoted we are, do=20
not compare ourself to the average user.

Like in real life, whenever there is something new, there are always in the=
=20
beginning just a few people who can understand the benefits of a new=20
technology, it always takes time to have the rest of mankind to adopt=20
something new. How many of you know that the principle of sending a fax=20
have been discovered at the end of the 19th!! century. And that Antibiotics=
=20
have been discovered in the late 1870's. That there have been times where=20
the rich and wealthy thought that reading was something obscure for the=20
clerical profession?

Eventhough we now know the benefits it took a long time to have the masses=
=20
ready to use these new inventions.

SJ was to early, and most average computer users are just now beginning to=
=20
understand what they can do with a computer and what they actually really=20
need. SJ learened his lesson well, and he is slowly mobilising the masses=20
for acceptance of new technologies.

Now - rant me 8-)

Sa=9Aa