Re: [NTLK] [OT] apple does server

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 00:58:27 EDT

* Chris Ruprecht <chrup_at_earthlink.net> on Thu, 16 May 2002
| what are those? what about fibre drives, 15000 RPM?

FCAL is Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop.

15000 RPM drives generate a tremendous ammount of heat. They have not been
around long enough for me to get really comfortable with them. We recently
got a small cage with a pair of them -- ~140GB each -- that we are using
for testing, so that will likely change soon.

[...]
| with only 2 CPUs in the Xserver, you're once again limited. Clustering
| would get past the problem in a way, but then, I didn't see that
| advertized anywhere on the Apple site either.

And it depends on what you mean by "clustering". There are computing
cluster environments like Beowulf and there are service sharing cluster
environments like TruCluster. They share little in common.

[...]
| pretty academic, since our database provider sees no need to port their
| product to a new platform.

Out of curiosity, who is your database provider?

Point: as a Unix Systems Administrator (BOFH for short) I do not like OS X
for reasons listed previously. As a Unix user I like OS X a lot, and I
think it is the best thing to come down the 'pike in years. It is -the-
most successful end-user Unix ever.

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ accelerate to dangerous speeds.