Re: [NTLK] screen blobs - Newton's rings

From: Mark Ross (markr13_at_comcast.net)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 22:55:27 EDT

> These are called, appropriately enough, "Newton's Rings' (thought for
>Issac (sp?) Newton who discovered them. They're caused by the very
>small gap between the two layers of the touchscreen, which causes light
>to be reflected and refracted in strange ways - I'm not sure of the
>exact physics involved. Flourescent light is worst I think because it
>has spikes in it's spectrum. There's nothing you can do about them that
>I know of, though a screen protector may mask them, and the touchscreen
>replacement being developed by cgrier (don't remember his real name,
>just his mail) should have reduced if not eliminated this, as I'm sure
>touchscreens have gotten better over the past 5 years.
>
>Jim
>
>> My Mp2k screen has been developing a peculiarity. For some time now, the
>> screen has had a couple of 'blobby' spots that would only show up under
>> fluorescent lighting. One was near the top and one was along the button
>> bar at the bottom [portrait orientation]. Well now it seems they have
>> merged! I now have on emajor 'blob' covering the centre area of the
>> screen.
>> Is there a possible fix? Can I massage the screen somehow? It hardly
>> seems worthwhile to take it apart...

Actually, screen protectors won't help here. Newton rings are caused by
two materials touching at one point where the difference in refractive
index caused by the air gap near the touch point causes interference
fringes. This seems to be the result of damage to the screen, as we have
had this happen after some rough handling. They tend to fade, but never
go away completely. The only solution is a screen replacement, or a new
Newt!

Mark Ross
markr13_at_comcast.net

Need a Screen Protector to keep your Newton in tip top shape?
Go to <http://www.NuShield.com> for NuShield screen protectors.
Don't leave your Newt Naked!

Phone/Fax/Voicemail: (530) 678-5513