Re: [NTLK] What would have happened to PDA market if Apple had wa ited?

From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 09:45:26 EDT

> From: brian.tiplady_at_astrazeneca.com
> Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 12:58:06 +0200
>
>> What kinds of PDAs were
>> around at the time the Newton was introduced?
>>
>> Jim
>
> Sony Magic Cap
> Sharp Zaurus
> Casio XL-7000 (Penright! OS)
> HP OmniG0
> Some larger pen tablets running WinPen or WinDOS such as Fujitsu Stylistic

I think we may be muddling PDAs and Pen computers together, but here's a few
more:

    Casio B.O.S.S.
    Poqet
    Tandy/AST/Casio Zoomer (aka Z-PDA)- Geos-based
    AT&T EO
    Psion 3 series
    HP 95/100LX
    Amstrad pen-based PDA
    various "electronic organizers"

Also, a minor correction, the OmniGo came a bit later, the 95LX or 100LX
would have been the direct competition at the time ot the Newton rollout.

At the bottom were the electronic organizers, the progeny of which you can
buy in a blister pack at the pharmacy (the ones with 16/32/64K of memory and
can even store email ddresses). The high-end of this group were ones like
the Casio BOSS.

Above that were the units which were more designed as PC
replacements/supplements. This group is best represented by the HP
LX-series, Zaurus, and Psion. This is also the market that the Newton and
others were targeting.

IIRC, the big comparison in the magazines of the era was the MP100 vs. the
MagicCap vs. the Zoomer.

<<<John>>>