Re: [NTLK] NewtZilla?

From: Jesse Garnier (jgarnier_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 00:03:31 EDT

Lee, Christopher J wrote not long ago (5/9/02 10:54 PM):

> Just wondering if anyone has looked into the possibility of doing a very
> scaled down version of Mozilla (open source web browser) for the Newt...

Sounds nice, until you check out some of the sizes of Mozilla's shared
libraries. It's hard to fathom how the app needs that much code just to
render HTML in the DOM, but oh well.

While we're dreaming... One thing I wish a Newton browser could do is
optionally render at a fixed width -- say 640 or 800 pixels wide -- in cases
where I'd like to maintain more layout and symmetry with a "desktop"
appearance. (Optional, of course, because in that mode you'd end up reading
a lot of banner ads and nav bars.)

Kind of a NewtVNC rendering of a wide (wider than Newton) Web page. :)

--Jesse