Re: [NTLK] OT - Caller ID

From: Bryce Lynch (bryce_at_telerama.lm.com)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 21:34:27 EDT

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Larrie Easterly wrote:

> Can caller ID's be spoofed?

Yes, it can, if you've got the right device to pull it off. If you search
for 'CID spoofing' or 'caller id spoofing' you will find a few pages with
practical information Out There.

The technique involves sending an 80ms pulse of 2130Hz and 2750Hz down the
line and then transmitting a certain sequence which spells out the number
and name of the caller.

> Missed a call on my cell phone today. The messaging system showed a number.
> When I tried calling it the computer operator said "You have reached a
> number is no longer in service or has been disconnected". Go figure.

Could this be someone you know who's playing a trick on you? Could it be
a glitch of some sort somewhere? It takes a bit of preparation to pull
this off, which is why I ask...

--
Encrypted private e-mail preferred.
PGP and GnuPG keys: http://users.telerama.com/~bryce/pgp.key