Re: [NTLK] Ethernet card and battery life

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 08:37:03 EDT

on 09/05/02 01:25, Jeffrey M. Swiger at n8noe_at_mac.com wrote:

> Do any of the cards you talk about work
> with the Airport Base?...
>

> On Thursday, May 9, 2002, at 01:24 AM, Peter Cameron wrote:
>

>> on 5/9/02 12:18 AM, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if there is a similar list for ethernet cards?
>> To add to the list (power consumption measured with Avi's):
>> Farallon EtherWave:
>> Standby - almost nothing.
>> In use - draws about 65 mA.
>>
>> D-Link DE-660+
>> Standby - almost nothing.
>> In use - draws about 80 mA.

Jeffrey,

He was talking about regular Ethernet cards. The wireless cards are the
Lucent WaveLan. That work in the Newton, of course. There are other cards
that will work with the AirPort Base Station (if they support the 802.11b
standard, they should work), but they won't in a Newton, since the only
driver we have recognizes and talks to Lucent cards only (I think).

-Laurent.

bytesexual /bi:t`sek'shu-*l/ adj.: [rare] Said of hardware, denotes willingness to compute or pass data in either big-endian or little-endian format (depending, presumably, on a mode bit somewhere). See also NUXI problem.