Re: [NTLK] battery reconditioning

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 09:46:19 EDT

On 07/05/02 09:15, "Prabhakar Ragde" <plragde_at_plg2.math.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Mycroft wrote:
>
>> NiCD cells generally don't recondition successfully after 5 years, whether
>> you use them or not. If you use them regularly, they simply exhaust their
>> normal cycle life. If you don't use them at all like your spare pack, or
>> very little, then they tend to grow metal crystals which eventually puncture
>> the seperator, and the cell can no longer hold a charge for very long due to
>> self-discharge through leakage current through the seperator.
>
> [much appreciated but somewhat intimidating detail snipped]
>
> But isn't the battery pack for the 2000/2100 NiMH? Can old Newton
> battery packs, never used, be used now or not? And if so, how to get
> them to hold a charge? --PR

Apparently, you can, but even if they're new, they've been sitting on a
shelf and I read a message no later than yesterday (hmmm, maybe it was on
the G-Books list) about the chemical process that occurs even if the battery
is not used, which will reduce its life expectancy over the course of a
couple of years. I don't know, I'm merely reporting what I've read...

-Laurent.