Re: [NTLK] Re - battery contacts

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 06:43:12 EDT

> 1) Plus. The rectangular one on the side with only one rectangular
contact.
> 2) Minus. The round one.
> 3) Resistor pin 1. The top one on the side with two contacts. Electrically
connected to 2)
> 4) Resistor pin 2. The bottom one on the side with two contacts.
> 1 and 2 are used for getting current into and out of the pack.
> 3 and 4 tell the Newton there's a rechargeable pack installed and
> which temperature the cells have.
Thanks Frank for the excellent description. I wanted to complete it with
following:
A) The connection between 2) Minus and 3) Thermistor is essential. I it is
not there the Newton doesn't recognize the accu as accu.
B) Shorting the thermistor terminals makes the Newton thinking its accu has
64 deg C and stop charging. I use this in the latest generation of the
battery tray modification to tell the Newton if alkalines are inserted in
the tray (see http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/Npages/Naccu/Naccu.html
including schematics of the accu)

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse