[NTLK] Backups (also: thank you's) (long, as usual)

From: Michael Mays (chaosmonk_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 21:35:30 EDT

Allright. I'm sure this question's been asked before. Unfortunately, after=
 a search of the NTLK archives and some of Google, I am still at a loss.=
  Perhaps someone who's had a similar issue can help.

I am attempting to back up my UMP2000 to my computer, a 1.4GHz 266/DDR=
 machine, running Windows 2000 Professional. Running NCU 1.0, after a=
 couple seconds, the connection suddenly closes itself with a=
 "Disconnecting" message on the progress window. (The same happened with=
 NBU but I haven't tried it with slowdown yet. And Newton Package=
 Installer just...doesn't work.) The Newton then appears to perform a=
 partial reboot (at least, Avi's Backdrop acts as if it has been reloaded)=
 and my Newton tells me that my PC disconnected. On my computer's screen,=
 a "communications error" appears, "-1". I hear tell that this can be=
 fixed with slowdown, so I downloaded slowdown from UNNA and ran it,=
 setting both sliders to "slow". No luck, and no apparent change in the=
 backup's progress. I am also running an edited registry and the "Serial=
 57600" package to connect at 57600 bps.

Am I doomed to backing up to PCMCIA cards simply because of my=
 overwhelmingly fast computer (roll of eyes)? Or is there something I'm=
 doing wrong? Will the Blackhawks ever win the Stanley Cup? Will Batman=
 and Robin escape the Penguin's maze of death??

Hopefully, this will be the last question I ask for some time. I know I've=
 been quite demanding in my newbieism and to those who have so kindly and=
 patiently helped me with their superior knowledge and resources, I am=
 truly appreciative. I give special note to the following: David=
 Humphreys, distributor (and creator?) of the ever-useful SER-001 (which I=
 plan to obtain once I recover from the amount of money I've laid out=
 recently) and generous supplier of humble me with a clasp for my Newton's=
 lid; Frank Gruendel, from whose knowledge of batteries and Newton=
 internals I have gleaned much information; Ferdi Ozguner, who has been=
 free with suggestions about my experience with GEMEnterprises; and Karen=
 Boyette, who has graciously given me tips on creating background pictures=
 for Avi's Backdrop. Once I have filled the blanks in my Newton knowledge,=
 I will be able to put something back into this list from which I have so=
 freely taken, be it about Newtons, eMacs, anti-lock brake systems,=
 or...whatever.

As always, thanks go to those who supply me with help, and to those who=
 actually have the tenacity to read my over-long and verbose posts. :)

Michael Mays