Re: [NTLK] OT: RE: Opening packages on PCs/Macs

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 18:48:37 EDT

I installed an MP3 ripping application and it modified
the right-button even further! When I pop in an audio
CD, the computer connects to the CDDB server,
downloads the album and song titles and instead of
displaying the CD with "track 1, track 2..." it shows
the song titles. Then when you right click on one of
the tracks, one of the choices is "Encode" which will
rip the track using whatever codec you set it up with!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)
(I didn't want to have someone running 98 to say I was
wrong, so I had to add the shift-key modifier to
comply with the lowest common denominator)

--- "Gerstein, Sam" <Sam.Gerstein_at_Streamserve.Com>
wrote:

> Hey, Ed, you're giving those Mac people more fodder
> for their anti-windows
> propaganda! This is actually _one_ thing that
> Windows does really well
> (starting with 2K). You don't have to hold down
> shift (in fact, there are
> never any modifiers on the right button). And even
> better (yeah, it
> requires being a power user) you can configure your
> own actions on any file
> type (and set a default). As an example, the
> actions I have on MP3 files
> are "Play" and "Enqueue", with Play being the
> default. Now if OS X 10.2 has
> that sort of functionality as *well* as resource
> fork info allowing you to
> set a specific file's (not type's) behavior.. that'd
> be sweet. :)
>
> -Sam

<snip>

=====