Re: [NTLK] Opening packages on PCs/Macs (was eMac...)

From: mark (markds_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 18:19:48 EDT

Jesse Garnier writes:

> Sorry, I should have snipped Ed's post as I've done here. Then
> it would have made sense I was talking about the "Open With..."
> feature, which doesn't currently exist.

It remains to be seen whether the "open with" contextual menu that
is supposed to be coming will be:

a) an Apple version of Zingg or

b) a direct route to the features of "show info->open with
application" (with the same options which amount to "use for this
file only" or "set as default opener") or

c) something else

My point was that all Zingg is doing is cutting out the middle man
by providing an immediate list of the apps that are available
anyway under show info->open with application.

IOW, the "open with..." feature does currently exist, its just
that you have to select the Show Info contextual menu and then
select the "open with application" pull down which is a little
inelegant.

mark.