Re: [NTLK] OT: French was Re: PowerPen

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 11:18:40 EDT

On 02/05/02 11:12, "James Witte" <jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us> wrote:

>> shu quebecois, non francais!
>
> It would be interesting to know th linguistic basis for the
> transformation of 'je suid' to 'shu'..
>
>> appropriately translated english...
>> ah am quebecish y'all, not a french.
>
> "Not a french" or "Not a *frog*"?! Do Quebec'ers use 'frog' as an
> insult (?) as Americans do (or did it start somewhere on the other side of
> the pond)?

Hmmm, I must have missed the message you replied to! 'shu' is probably the
contraction of 'je suis'. Remove the 'e' in 'je', then the 'i' in 'suis' and
you get a sound that is close to 'shu'.

And yes, Quebecers usually take 'frog' as an insult. But we're pretty much
used to it now, so Quebecers will even sometimes laugh from it. You'll find
people wearing t-shirts with a joke about 'frogs'. It's kinda old now...

-Laurent.