[NTLK] [OT] Macs/PCs in schools

From: Jesse Garnier (jgarnier_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 16:05:56 EDT

I think one problem with computers in schools is that kids (and adults, for
that matter) too frequently are taught procedurally rather than in more
general, conceptual terms.

An example might be creating a letter. Instead of being taught concepts
applied through specific examples, they're led through a process (1. Click
Start. 2. Click Microsoft Office. 3. Click Word. 4. Hit the "new document"
icon... Etc.) This leads to dependence/reliance on a fixed way of doing
things, instead of understanding there are many ways to accomplish any given
task.

I see it happen professionally, where people get "stuck" when an unexpected
dialog comes up, or if a button gets moved or something is otherwise not
*exactly* as they expect. Many people are literally scared of computers,
scared of making a mistake, a fear that's reinforced by Gestapo-like IT
folks who walk around like they know everything, think users are idiots, and
how dare we presume to have any insight which they, in their infinite
knowledge of .conf files or Active Directory or whatever, may not possess.

I've had friends switch from PC to Mac, and my advice (before and after) is
usually the same: You're doing the same things, they just might be in
different places and called different things. Once they adopt that attitude,
their learning curve skyrockets.

Just an opinion.

Cheers--

--Jesse