[NTLK] PPP, -60015 & SER-001

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 12:14:21 EST

Hi folks,

I definitely can't connect with my MP2100 to the Internet via a phone
modem (and PPP). I get a -60015 (out of loop phase, i.e. PPP
negotiation failed)

I've spent more than 3 hours on this problem and I finally google'd
and found out why I was getting the -60015 in the list archives:
http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/newtontalk.2001-07/1888.html

(who said one shouldn't check the archives?)

Before finding Bill's message, I tried the following:
- various modem script settings
- various ISP's connect numbers
- a modem script customized for my external modem
- trying plugging via the dongle instead of using the SER board
- try a wrong login/password to hope getting an error: bad password
- try defining a login script (while in fact this ISP does PAP/CHAP)
- a brain wipe & a restore (heh, against my will actually)

Finally, I did a backup of my primary Newton, brain wiped the
secondary, restored the backup on the secondary and I successfully
connected. Both units had the same cards in when I tried, so I think
it's definitely the SER board.

David, any idea? Does anyone else except Bill experienced that? (i.e.
is it worth investigating? Personally, I only connect to the Internet
via Ethernet, I was just checking connecting would work for I'll
setup someone else's Newton tomorrow).

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/