Re: [NTLK] GPS

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 05:51:02 EST

Am 31.3.2002 10:24 Uhr schrieb "Kent Jonsson" unter <kent_at_sm4tfe.com>:
> I tried the GPS Lite, but the program is only looking for GPS... Although
> the GPS is sending data, and (I think) everything is set up properly (NMEA,
> Serial 4800 bps etc).
Try that:
1. Check the serial port output with the GPS monitor program.
2. It might be possible that the GPS dumps to much data onto the serial port
and the buffer goes into overflow. Standard GPS behaviour is to send up to 7
GPS strings each second and I would recommend you to increase that to 2...5
seconds and get rid of the redundant information.
3. Increasing the update rate of your GPS requires bi-directional
communication which I found not reliable with the Newton. Then I did it on a
PEECEE with a standard terminal program (HyperTerm or Kermit).
4. Send e.g. these 3 strings for a Zodiac chip set from Rockwell:
$PRWIILOG,???,V,,,#0D#0A -> (disable all output msgs)
$PRWIILOG,GGA,A,T,2,0#0D#0A -> (enable GGA string, each 2 seconds)
$PRWIILOG,RMC,A,T,2,0#0D#0A -> (enable RMC string, each 2 seconds)
5. You might enter these strings also into the GPSmap init string fields,
but I don't know whether they will work. I had no success with my
set-up/cable/GPS.
6. Your GPS might need completely different init strings which you should
find out from the manual for the used chipset.
7. This "#0D#0A" means append CRLF at the end of the string or set the
terminal program to append it automagically.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand

http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/ https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG