Re: [NTLK] Can't connect Newton 2000 to PowerBook 5300

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 02:35:56 EST

on 3/28/02 9:48 PM, Marco Mailand at Newton2k1_at_mac.com wrote:

> Try to disable AppleTalk/LocalTalk. I remember unsharply that the PB5300
> didn't have two serial ports like PPCs's or 68k Macs but a combined beast
> which served as AT or serial. AT blocks then the ser port.

I would advise, rather, that he use LocalTalk/AppleTalk to connect to his
Newton. I've always had greater success with that vs serial connections. I
get the impression, however, that he has tried that.

If neither is working, I would be looking to hardware problems. It may be
that your PB has a bad port. Does it print? It may be the cable is bad,
again, does it work, connected to a printer? It may be that the dongle is
bad. I wouldn't know how to check that... :-) Although, I suppose that if
the cable works, and you can print from the laptop, you can try printing
from the Newton. That would let you know if the dongle is broken. Hey! I
figured it out! ;-)

Those are my thoughts.

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side.