[NTLK] Dongle/serial cables (was: Financial calculators)

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 10:35:48 EST

at the temporal coordinates: 3/28/02 10:21 AM, the entity known as Tony Kan
at tony.kan_at_clear.net.nz conveyed the following:

> Dunno. Here is the materials list for the project:
>
> 1 male (with pins) mini din-8 connector
> 1 female (no pins) db-9 or db-25 connector
> a hood or casing for the connector
> a length of 8-core shielded audio cable
> a 2cm length of insulated wire
> a soldering iron

Yep, that reads like a Mac-PC serial cable. The din-8 is the round type of
serial connector that is/was used on Macs. This cable would work on Newts
prior to the 2x00/eMate era (i.e., 1x0 series Newts).

> And this is the URL that I found it from:
> http://www.oldschool.net/newton/pccable.html
>
> I didn't know that I needed a dongle. I guess I thought I'd see what a
> din-8 connector looked like first. If I needed one, where do I find
> dongles.

Dongles can often be found on eBay. Otherwise, perhaps someone on the list
has an extra or knows of a good source. Particularly list members in OZ or
NZ, who may have a good idea of suppliers who are either in your part of the
world or who are willing to ship there. (As you may be aware, there are
often items listed on eBay where the seller won't ship outside North
America.)

- Eric.